Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Who Needs Coffee to Wake Up?

I am a morning person. Most mornings I am out of bed and having my coffee and quiet time by 5:15. This morning, I had not gotten my coffee yet, and, at 5:15 I sat at my desk pondering if maybe today I wanted to just go back to sleep for a while.

Something fluttered above my head. I looked up and saw nothing. Within seconds there was another flutter. This time I looked up and discovered my dogs and I had company in the house. There was a BAT flying around. Not a small bat either. One of its trips around the room came quite close to my face and I'm pretty sure its wing span from tip to tip when outstretched was over a foot long!

Many questions came to mind in a matter of seconds. How did it get in the house? How long had it been there? How could I get it out of the house without myself or my dogs actually tangling with it? Of course, none of those questions had answers and in the meantime the bat continued flying from room to room, darting and dipping and barely missing crashing into me on several occasions!

I opened the doors and tried "encouraging" the creature to fly outside. I'm sure it was only a matter of minutes, but it felt like hours passed. The bat flew onto the porch and I quickly slammed the doors. At least it was out of the house. But the new dilemma was that it was trapped on our back porch with the dogs who had followed it out there. Things were crashing around as the dogs tried to catch the bat. I'm pretty sure that bat was more than a little frightened.

So, I opened the door enough to squeeze onto the porch. The bat was flying back and forth, hitting windows and walls as the dogs jumped to try and catch it. I opened the screen doors on each side of the porch. I wasn't sure what it would take for the animal to figure out it could fly outside. I decided I might have to try and chase it out so I was going back inside when I guess it finally figured things out and flew straight at me!I ducked just in time to prevent the thing from crashing into my nose!

It flew away.
My dogs calmed down.
And, I was not the slightest bit sleepy anymore--even without a coffee fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment