Monday, March 23, 2020

Here in Pennsylvania we are used to snow days, even snow weeks. The local school districts actually schedule a certain number of snow days into the calendar each year, as well as snow-makeup-days. I have four adult sons. Yes, for many years our life was rather chaotic. And for the most part we loved it!

I loved summer vacations when the boys were home for three months. We swam and played. We went on what I called weekly adventures. They were not big deals. We'd load up bikes and skateboards and a huge blanket and a picnic. We'd leave mid-morning and come back later in the afternoon. So much fun!

I also love, love, loved snow days. When a Pennsylvania blizzard would close the schools for a whole week, this Momma was happy. In 2015, when my youngest son was a Senior in high school we had a blizzard and his two best friends and his girlfriend timed coming to our house so that they would intentionally be snowed in here! Many Nerf battles took place that week.

So, here I am at home in Ppennsylvania for a second week of shutdown expecting a Stay-in-Shelter order any day now. My dog training business is pretty much on hold except for clients who need me for dog care as they do their essential jobs. ugh.

When this social distancing began it caused me stress in a way I wasn't expecting. I work at home all day. It's usually just me and the dogs. So, I am used to solitude. I also am not fretting or worrying about getting sick. There's nothing I can do to stop it if is finds its way to our little farm here.

Even so, the first few days my anxiety surprised me. Until I thought about it. My sons are adults now. They are in their owns homes. Two of them live local, one lives about an hour away, and one across the country in Los Angeles. If we were all stuck here in the house like we used to be during snow days I would not have had anxiety. Because we would have been together.

The empty nest has been an adjustment for us, but it hasn't been horrible. But an empty nest when there is a pandemic going on is a different story. Thankfully, they do check in with me daily and give me updates on how they are. We get to FaceTime with our granddaughter in California. And, once I identified the source of my anxiety I was able to calm it.

I pray for us.
I pray for my sons and their wives, partners, and my granddaughter.
I trust God is with us, even when we struggle.
And now that I understand the source I can give my anxiety to Him.

I pray for all of you too. Our world is changing fast and there is a lot to think about, pray about, be concerned about. But, because God is with us we really have nothing to worry about. I refuse to doubt during dark times what I knew was Truth in light times because it still is Truth.

Be blessed you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment